Re: Precambrian geology (2)

Allen Roy (allen@infomagic.com)
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 22:26:28 -0700

> From: PHSEELY@aol.com
> Since your theory is allegedly built upon the witness of Scripture, why
are
> you accepting this concordistic reinterpretation which rejects the clear
> witness of Scripture that the sun, moon and stars were not made until the

> fourth day?

It is important to consider the original words when reading the Creation
week. The word 'made,' when used concerning the sun, moon and stars, is
translated from 'asah.' It is interesting that in the KJV 'asah' is
tranlated 74 different ways, which should make us vary wary of hanging
great theological conclusions on any single translation of that word. It
means 'to do or to make' and is likely closer to our English word 'do' or
'did'.

"An observer from the earth would have exclaimed, 'Look what God did today!
He did the dry land yesterday and today He did two great lights and the
stars!' This may sound awkward in English, but it is a very normal use of
'asah' in Hebrew and it brings us closer to the common usage of that word
in Moses' day. It does not indicate assembly of the stars on day four."

"Some will remonstrate, 'But it says plainly that God made the stars on day
four.' Yes and no. If the thought is 'create' or 'assemble' out of
pre-star materials, then the text does not say that at all. If the thought
is 'to bring about,' 'perform,' 'gain,' 'reach,' 'as to make a noise,' 'to
make plans,' then that meaning can be accepted in this context. In that
sense Abraham made the calf for serving his visitors. He peeled away the
skin, removed the entrails, and roasted it. Well, God peeled away some
clouds on day four and 'made' the stars. Psalm 135 says God makes
lightning. How does he? By rolling air masses and moisture particles
around. How does God make stars? Well, on day three He rolled away the
ocean to make land and on day four He rolled away the fog to make stars.
The 'making' is observed from the earth ..." (Gorman Gray, 1998, The Age
of the Universe: What are the Biblical Limits?, p. 28-31) [Gray has much
more to say on the translations and use of the word 'asah'.]

Allen