Re: Precambrian geology (1)

Steven Schimmrich (sschimmr@ursa.calvin.edu)
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 10:21:11 -0400

At 07:39 PM 4/12/99 -0700, Allen Roy wrote:

>> From: David Campbell <bivalve@mailserv0.isis.unc.edu>
>> Last I saw, many flood geology advocates were claiming that there are no
>> Precambrian fossils. Ediacaran fossils were recognized as such in the
>>late 1940's, and microfossils, stromatolites, and macroalgae go back through
>> much of the Precambrian. There are hardly any rocks older than fossils.
>>
>> Lack of fossils below but present above, if attempted to apply on a very
>> local scale, will give all sorts of balmy results. Pliocene sediments
>> onlap onto granite here in the North Carolina coastal plain. Surely that
>> was not the last region to be flooded!
>
>That is why I said "in general." And that is why I said the line demarking
>the beginning of the Flood Catastrophe from site to site is still in
>discussion.

It's in discussion because the entire concept (that there is an upper or lower
flood boundary that one can correlate worldwide) is totally untenable.

- Steve.

--
   Steven H. Schimmrich                         Assistant professor of geology
   Department of Geology and Geography          sschimmr@calvin.edu (office)