Re: ID does not equal Christian Apologetics

Steven H. Schimmrich (sschimmr@ursa.calvin.edu)
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 15:54:48 -0400

At 02:18 PM 4/12/99 -0600, William Dembski wrote:

>I need to get back to some of my projects, so I'm going to leave the
>discussion here for now. I do want to stress, however, that ID ‚ Christian
>Apologetics. ID is an empirical study into features of the world that
>indicate intelligent causation. No doubt, one can get apologetic mileage
>out of ID, but it is first and foremost a stand-alone research program.

Could you inform us who (besides Behe) is doing active scientific (as
opposed to philosophical/theological) research into ID right now? I'm
not sure I know of anyone (but I'm only a dumb geologist). I would also
be especially interested in knowing about any ID research into geology.

Does that active scientific research involve the YEC community (in other
words, do you consider what the ICR does as "scientific" research)? I note
with some disappointment that my questions about the relationship between
ID and YEC was studiously ignored by ID proponents on this list (other than
to privately criticize me for saying I was cynical about ID proponents and
how they avoid talking about YEC).

- Steve.

--
   Steven H. Schimmrich, Assistant Professor of Geology
   Department of Geology, Geography, and Environmental Studies