Re: Dembski and Nelson at MIT and Tufts

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swau.edu)
Tue, 06 Apr 1999 21:11:38 -0700

At 05:45 PM 4/6/99 -0600, you wrote:

>That's technically an appeal to authority ("Dr. Benton Quest, an expert in
>the field of abiogenesis, claims that primitice living cells have been made
>in the lab, so it must be true!"), which is a logical fallacy. I would
>rather provide references that, when read, would allow you to come to
>understand the concensus that has led abiotic researchers to that
>conclusion. But I couldn't do it with only five references; I really
>couldn't do it with twenty-five. Your best bet is still to do your own
>search. Start with textbooks that discuss abiogenesis and reference books
>written by abiotic researchers. These will lead you to more references,
>many of them journal articles describing the actual experiments. Or at
>least they'll give you a sufficient familiarity with the terms that you can
>use them as searchwords in a journal database like MedLine.

Pick up the glove, Kevin! You tell us to read the literature. That seems
to be your answer to everything. But when someone asks you to back your
repeated assertions up with substance, your answer is that citing
literature is appeal to authority! We have read the literature. That is
why we are puzzled by your contention that life has been created in the
laboratory. If it has, then I think it is only fair for you to help us
out, by giving us some literature citations. Is your constant response of
"Read the literature" a cover for the absence of an answer?
Art
http://geology.swau.edu