Re: Dembski and Nelson at MIT and Tufts

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swau.edu)
Mon, 05 Apr 1999 13:43:16 -0700

At 12:19 PM 4/5/99 -0600, Kevin wrote:

>>Kevin, you can sleep tonight. The scientists at MIT and Tufts will be
>>capapble of determining whether the things Dembski and Nelson say are good
>>science. What are you worried about? If they are not speaking good
>>science, they will be trashed. If they are, what is your concern? Have a
>>good day.
>>

>My concern is the arrogance and naivete' that made them believe they could
>stand up in front of a bunch of career biologists and say, "You guys are all
>wrong and we are here to set you straight." If they are trashed their
>arrogance will simply convince them that their audience is closed-minded; if
>they are politely told they have some interesting ideas, their arrogance
>will convince them that they have scored a coup, which will only encourage
>them to be even more aggressive.

You, of all people, should not be pointing the finger of accusation at
Nelson and Dembski. What they are doing requires strength of character and
not arrogance. Obvoiusly you have not met either of these men or you would
not refer to them so.

>How much respect would you and your colleagues give a philosopher and a
>mathematician who came to your university and said essentially the same
>thing to you geologists?

A whole lot if what they said made sense.
Art
http://geology.swau.edu