Re: Dembski and Nelson at MIT and Tufts

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@uncwil.edu)
Sat, 03 Apr 1999 12:25:36 -0500

Dear Howard,

I think we can know something for what it is or for what it is not. The
term "intelligent design" means that the universe did not come into being
without the aid of some preexisting being who has the ability to reason.
Therefore, in truth there is no such thing as truly random, everything is
designed. We are like fish in the water who are not aware of the existence
of the water and want to prove it. An impossible task!

Take care,

Moorad

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard J. Van Till <110661.1365@compuserve.com>
To: Evolution Listserve <evolution@calvin.edu>; ASA Listserve
<asa@calvin.edu>
Date: Friday, April 02, 1999 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: Dembski and Nelson at MIT and Tufts

Bert Massie writes:

"Theism and design do not depend on how God implemented."

My reply:

Bert, that depends on what your operative definition of "design" is. For
some ID proponents, it appears that some very specific claims about
implementation are included in the definition. That's what I have long been
trying to get them to admit publicly, clearly, and candidly.

At the moment I'm not arguing either for or against ID. I am merely trying
to get its proponents to put all of their cards on the table. Until then,
there's no game to play.

I repeat, the meaning of the term "intelligent design" is *not*
self-evident and *must* be clearly and candidly defined before any claims
re ID can be meaningfully evaluated.

Respectfully,

Howard Van Till