Re: Plumbing Black Sea for Proof of the Deluge

Blaine D. McArthur (blaine.mac@pobox.com)
Thu, 07 Jan 1999 19:11:52 -0800

The August 1998 issue of Earth magazine also had a "popularized"
article about Pittman's and Ryan's research in the Black Sea. It was
available on the web for a while, unfortunately the magazine has folded
and is no longer being published and their have dismantled their web
site. (The August 1998 was their last issue.)

The technical report of their findings ("...and their speculations
....") was published in the April 1997 issue of Marine Geology.

Interestingly, this is the same Bill Ryan who was one of the leaders of
the Glomar Challenger team that made the discovery that about 5 to 6
million years ago the Mediterranean dried up, and subsequently refilled
(the Messinian Salinity crisis.) .