Re: Genesis Question

Dick Fischer (dfischer@mnsinc.com)
Wed, 06 Jan 1999 19:54:13 -0500

--=====================_6696289==_.ALT

Paul wrote:

>I believe that when the Hebrew word that is usually translated "bird" is used
>with reference to flying insects, the word "teeming or swarming thing" is
>added, so that the text says "flying insect," as in Lev 11:21; Deut 14:19.
>Gen 1:21 does not add the word "teeming thing" and refers only to birds, not
>flying insects.

Here's what I said on page 178.

"...the Hebrew word ‘op that has been translated “fowl,” is a “flying
creature,”
the
same basic word for “insect” which probably would have been a better
translation.
Flying insects date to 300 million years ago in the Carboniferous period, and
were
useful for pollinating some of the vegetation springing forth at about that
time. Also,
why would “fowls” be mentioned three times in three consecutive passages
(Gen.1:20-22)? If birds had been intended in all three instances it would
be a

curious redundancy."

I still stand by this. Plus, keep this in mind. No one observed what
happened.
Whoever originally penned Genesis one, under inspiration, put down the words.
This doesn't mean that the human writer even knew what was intended. The
writer
put down the right word, whether he was aware or not is immaterial.

Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
"The answer we should have known about 150 years ago."
Sincerely,

Dick Fischer
Office: (703) 633-3853 Mobile: (703) 963-0426