Re: Genesis Question

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Tue, 05 Jan 1999 22:13:15 -0800

At 08:22 PM 1/5/99 -0500, Dick Fischer wrote:

>As I remember, the reason for the huge discrepancy in estimates was because
>there was no difference found in Y-chromosome DNA samples. In other words,
>the Y-chromosome is virtually identical in all males. With no rate of
>divergence to measure, how could you estimate a date of divergence? Has
>anything new been published on this?

Hi Dick,

One reply before I go into hiding again. This is not true. There are
regions in which the Y chromosome appears to have no differences. The
article you look for is:

Robert L. Dorit, Hiroshi Akashi, Walter Gilbert, "Absence of Polymorphism
at the ZFY locus on the Human Y Chromosome," ~ Science, May 26, 1995, p. 1184

"A coalescent model, with its assumptions of random mating, equilibrium
population size, and exponentially distributed bifurcation times, provides
an expected date for the last common male ancestor of 270,000 years (with
95% confidence limits of 0 to 800,000 years). Increasing the population
size or nonrandom mating would lower this estimate. A lowest limit for the
age of the last common ancestor of all Y lineages since the last common
male ancestor (known as a 'star' phylogeny); such a pattern provides an
estimate of 27,000 years, with 95% limits of 0 to 80,000 years. A mixed
model, involving local (regional) coalescence, would produce intermediate
times." ~ Robert L. Dorit, Hiroshi Akashi, Walter Gilbert, "Absence of
Polymorphism at the ZFY locus on the Human Y Chromosome," ~ Science, May
26, 1995, p. 1184

What is odd, is that it is ridiculous to calculate a divergence time for
something that never diverged! But Hugh Ross used this article
uncritically in

Hugh Ross, "Chromosome Study Stuns Evolutionists," Facts & Faith, 9:3, 3rd
Qtr. 1995, p. 3

Now, I wouldn't criticise Ross for this, because I think the Nature editors
should have asked what Jon Marks at Yale asked:

"But they have an opinion about which explanation is correct, since they
then calculate the coalescence time for this gene, a calculation that
assumes common recent origin for all modern humans and historically large
male population size. This is an unusual calculation anyway, as Jon Marks,
also of Yale University, pointed out in an electronic mail message to us on
the same day--how can there be a coalescence time for something that never
diverged to begin with?" ~ Milford Wolpoff and Rachael Caspari, Race and
Human Evolution, (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1997), p. 362

glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood