Genesis Question pt 1-Biology/Geology

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Mon, 04 Jan 1999 21:05:23 -0800

I am dropping back in for a brief visit. I won't be here long. I have
finished reading Hugh Ross' new book _The Genesis Question_ (Colorado
Springs: NavPress, 1998). Unfortunately, many of the claims made in this
book have reinforced my severe suspicion of Christian apologists and their
unwillingness to accurately cite modern research. What I have seen among
the young-earth creationists, over and over, is selective use of the data,
misrepresentation of the data and failure to cite important research. All
of this applies to Ross' new book as much as it has in the past ICR
products. As you all know here, over the past few months, I truly have
begun to wonder if Christian apologists can be trusted to get the
scientific data correct. Reading this book last month and knowing of my
interaction with Ross in 1996, sent me into an even more depressed state
concerning the willingness of the apologists to face the data of modern
science.

In this review, I will start with the biological issues then hit the
geological issues before moving in part 2, to the area of my greatest
disappointment, anthropology, and in particular the views on racial origins
that are expressed. All quotations from Ross' book will merely be
referenced with a page number. If the citation is from some other of Ross'
writing, it will have a year with it. I apologize for the length. I could
have been longer. The references are in part 1.

Biology

The most interesting item that came into focus during my reading of this
book is the fact that Hugh Ross is a committed special creationist. By
that I mean he holds the view that God created each species individually.
He does not believe ANY significant morphological change occurs. I quote:

"Genesis offers this explanation: God created the first sea mammals on the
fifth creation day. As the fossil record documents, sea mammals have
persisted on Earth from that epoch until now, though not without
interruption. Multiple extinctions of sea mammals imply that God
repeatedly replaced extinct species with new ones. (See chapter eight for
further discussion of this issue.) In most cases the new species were
different from the previous ones because God was changing Earth's geology,
biodeposits, and biology, step by step, in preparation for His ultimate
creation on Earth---the human race.
"The many 'transitional' forms of whales and horses suggest that God
performed more than just a few creative acts here and there, letting
natural evolution fill in the rest. Rather, God was involved and active in
creating all the whale and horse species, the first, the last, and the
'transitional' forms." (p. 52)

Being surprised by this, I went looking back through some of his other
writings. The book says that dinosaur transitional forms were specially
created by God in Ross (1998, p. 3).

This explains why Ross has occasionally written that the speciation rate is
zero today. He writes:

"Research indicates that natural evolutionary processes, the observable
microevolution, occurs at roughly the same rate today as it did before
humans. Science offers no explanation, as yet, for the sudden change in
the speciation rate, but the Bible offers one: the difference comes from
the change in God's level of creative activity. Before Adam and Eve, it
was high. After Adam and Eve, it dropped to zero."(p. 65)

This claim of no speciation is so blatantly absurd that it would be
laughable, if it were not being used to 'support the Bible. Here are some
examples for Ross to consider:

"Hawaii harbors several moths of the genus Hedylepta that feed only on
banana plants. Other species of the genus feed on other Hawaiian plants,
and similarities of form demonstrate that one of these that feeds on palms
is the ancestor of the banana- feeding species. Each of the banana-feeding
species is restricted to high mountain forests on only one or two islands,
and the reason they must bear a descendant rather than ancestral
relationship to the palm-feeding species is that, while palm trees are
native Hawaiian plants, banana trees are not. In fact Polynesians first
introduced the banana plant to the Hawaiian Islands only about a thousand
years ago. This sets an upper limit for the evolution of the new
banana-feeding insect species. For all we know, they evolved in a small
fraction of this interval." (Stanley, 1983, p. 21)

Prior to the voyages of exploration, rats did not live on the Island of
Mauritius. Some of the rats, deserted the first ships that landed there.
Today, the rats of Mauritius have a chromosome count and type that is
unique. Nowhere else in the world do we find rats with this chromosomal
arrangement. Yosida et al write:

"There are many researchers who have studied the chromosomes of the black
rats from several locations of the world, but none has observed in them the
karyotype characterized by the Robertsonian fission as seen in the
Mauritius type." (T.H. Yosida, et al, 1979, p. 59)

This has arisen in the past 400 years and would prevent interbreeding.

Many, many examples of speciation by polyploidy could be cited by
sophomores in Biology courses. Ross does allow for plant speciation, but
claims "No plant species radically different from already existing species
has arisen under human observation." (p. 42). This is falsified by
cotton,(only cultivated cotton has lint-Sauer 1969,p.78), corn (which is
huge by comparison with the ancestor and little looks like the earliest
teosinte). Cox and Moore (1985, p. 221-222) write:

"Indeed, both maize and teosinte are now regarded as subspecies of Zea
mays, but structurally they are very different, and in particular the
evolution of the all important flower and fruit structure is still in
dispute."

The claim that the speciation rate is zero or nearly zero today is clearly
false. The claim that morphological change has not occurred is clearly
false. Ross should not be advocating a view that is so easily falsified.

Origin of life

One of my personal disappointments with this book concerns Ross' claim:

"The simplest chemical step for the origin of life, the gathering of amino
acids that are all left-handed and nucleotide sugars that are all
right-handed (a phenomenon known as 'homochirality'), cannot be achieved
under inorganic conditions." (p. 41)

This is blatantly false and goes against the latest research. And it is a
sad story of willfully ignoring the data. How do I know it is willful?
Here is how. In September 1996, I was invited to a meeting here in Dallas
with Hugh Ross. I went an hour early hoping to meet Ross and show him the
Neanderthal flute which anthropologists had just discovered. This led to
the exchange between Ross and I concerning the flute (Morton, 1996, Ross,
1997, p. 6-7).

At this meeting, I was seated at a table with three friends, Ray Bohlin,
co-author of The Natural Limits to Biological Change, Jim McIntosh, Prof.
of Anatomy at Baylor Dental School, and Daryl Wilson, a Campus Crusade for
Christ staffer. During the talk, Hugh made the claim that he made above.
During the question and answer session, I stood and told Hugh that there
were left-handed amino acids in the Murchison meteorite and that unless he
believed that there was life in outer space, there was an inorganic process
capable of manufacturing amino acids of the proper handedness. He
categorically denied that there was any evidence of the sort. Considering
that meteors are part of astronomy I was surprised by this strong denial
from him. I told him that there had been several articles in Nature about
the issue. He looked at the audience and once again denied it. I sat down
and looked at Ray, shaking my head. Ray was shaking his also.
After the meeting I talked to Tad, his staff member who was selling books.
(I forget his last name). Tad gave me his e-mail address. I told Tad that I
would send him the references for the articles and Tad assured me that he
would get them to Ross. Here is the e-mail I sent a blind copy of this to
Ray Bohlin so that he would be a witness to the sending of this data
(Besides, since Ray is anti-evolutionary, I wanted Ray to know that the
information exists) Here is my e-mail:
Thu Sep 12 22:10:37 1996