Re: Descendants and Thomas Trap

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 16:56:11 -0800

At 04:35 PM 11/22/98 EST, PHSEELY@aol.com wrote:
>Glenn,
>
>With regard to disproving the resurrection of Christ, it is possible that
>historical documents could be found, (as was proven by the Dead Sea Scrolls
>some of which antedate Christ) which would offer evidence of eye-witnesses
>that the body of Jesus was seen and was decomposing even after "the third
>day." Depending on the nature of the reports, such documents could at least
>bring the resurrection into serious question. The resurrection is thus at
>least theoretically falsifiable.

We know that such a document existed at one time or some document like that.

Matt 28:11 While the women were on their way, some of the guards went into
the city and reported to the chief priests everything that had happened.
12 When the chief priests had met with the elders and devised a plan, they
gave the soldiers a large sum of money,
13 telling them, "You are to say, 'His disciples came during the night and
stole him away while we were asleep.'

I doubt this was just a verbal report. It would have been recorded in the
Roman records. But it didn't call into question the resurrection on the
part of Christians today. And I doubt such report would be viewed as
conclusive in light of the Matt 28:11 report. As things stand right now,
Christians believe the Matt 28:11ff rather than the obvious claims of the
guards.

glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood