Re: The Thomas Trap

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 08:49:21 -0500 (EST)

At 09:59 PM 11/19/98 -0500, George Murphy wrote:

[deleted]

> Well, if someone finds a skeleton unmitakeably identifiable as that of Jesus
>of Nazareth there would be such a misfit.
> But my approach to apologetics is more fundamental and more distinctively
>Christian than the one for which you argue. It makes use of the fact that
one must
>begin with presuppositions, and then evaluate those presuppositions _a
posteriori_
>from their results. That is the way science works. Einstein didn't first
"prove" that
>c is the same for all observers. He _assumed_ it and then showed that a
coherent theory

[deleted]

It is true that without presuppositions, humans cannot reason. There is
something in the nature of man that makes it a thinking machine. Citing the
way we do science is a good way of illustrating that machine but it goes
beyond science. Humans are also "detectors" of the nonphysical--read
spiritual. The spiritual realm is totally foreign to a truly mechanical,
thinking machine. The spiritual realm can never be detected by scientific
measuring devices. [All the data of science can be gathered by real,
nonthinking machines.] Kant indicated that the notions of space and time
are a priori in the human. I believe there are such spiritual notions which
are inherent to man also. The challenging sought-after coherence is really
between the physical and the nonphysical. The integration ought not be done
at the expense of the spiritual. What determines what we think of Christ
follows from our own human experiences--and knowledge of other's
experiences---plus knowledge of who is Christ--as determined from Scripture.
We make logical deductions from the juxtaposition of those two (orthogonal)
sources of information. Some conclude that Christ is Lord and Savior, some
that He is not. What determines the choice for a particular person? Only God
knows.

Moorad