Re: Descendants of Wolves, Bovines and Adam

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 18:35:23 -0800

At 07:41 AM 11/18/98 -0500, George Murphy wrote:

> & no one should say that Dante's Divine Comedy is invalidated by
>the fact that it uses the Ptolemaic model of the universe as a setting.
> Note that I say "should": I realize you will say that the Divine Comedy
>is "just poetry" & therefore can be neither true nor false.
> Determining literary genre by what you feel is needed for apologetics
>gets things backwards. The fact that you need a particular type of
account in >order for your argument to work doesn't mean that it is that
type of account.

Hi George,

Dante's comedy did not represent itself as the word of God, telling mankind
how to be saved and starting itself off by a description of how the
universe was created by Dante. See I didn't say what you expected. I try
to be surprizing once in a while. :-)

I keep finding it fascinating that the Bible says 'In the Beginning God
created the heavens and the earth" and that is the only part of Genesis
1-11 we believe. But if all the rest of Genesis 1-11 is
wrong/allegory/whatever, why should I believe that Genesis 1:1 is telling
me of a real creation by a real God?
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood