RE: Is it hazy tonight or is the moon just dusty

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Fri, 06 Nov 1998 06:21:59 -0600

At 11:11 PM 11/5/98 -0500, Vandergraaf, Chuck wrote:

>> Two book covering the results of the lunar program from the 60-70s had no
>> obvious reference to moon dust at all.
>>
>Joel,
>
>That's my impression as well, from going through back issues of National
>Geographic. Until the 1960s, the moon was only observed through terrestrial
>telescopes that showed little more than craters (I lusted after a Questar in
>those days, but after we started seeing pictures from the moon and, later,
>from Mars, a Questar lost much of its attraction). With not much of a
>chance at that time to actually go to the moon, the actual composition of
>the moon's surface was of little interest to the general public. Scientists
>could only conjecture as to the composition of the surface of the moon, as
>your excerpts clearly indicate.

the fact that the crater edges were steep was a good pre-landing indicator
of a hard surface. Dust can't support steep crater edges.

>Is Tom Gold the same Tom Gold who backed the drilling in Sweden for methane
>deposits at great depths? One of his theories was something along the lines
>that there are vast deposits of methane underneath the oceans and below
>impact craters on land. I remember meeting a Tom Gold back in the '80s at a
>workshop in Mont Ste. Marie, Quebec.

Yes that is the same guy. There is a story behind the Siljan crater. The
Swedes had voted to shut down all nuclear power plants. The Government was
trying to find energy sources so that their people wouldn't freeze in the
dark when the nukes were shut down. That is what drove the testing of
Gold's ideas on methane outgassing. And by the way, everyone knows that
methane is outgassing from the earth. That was not the issue for the oil
man in that well. The issue wasthe unliklihood of having porosity in those
rocks. One must have a porous zone or there is no reservoir.

glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood