Re: Neandertal question

Blaine D. McArthur (bjmcarth@pacbell.net)
Sun, 01 Nov 1998 17:18:03 -0800

John W Burgeson wrote:

> recent YEC publication cite a John W. Cuozzo
> as investigating the effects of aging on skeletal
> structure. On the basis of his
> work he concluded that neandertal man was
> simply "old," not otherwise different from modern man.
>
> "The model clearly showed that a normal "modern" human
> would look like Neanderthal when he got to about
> 400 years old!"
>
> Interesting conjecture. But I had thought I had read that
> juvenile Neandertal remains had also been found? Am I
> right? Or is his conjecture a possible one?
>
> Burgy

Yes, the remains of juvenile Neandertal's have been found.

The Journal of Human Evolution (1994) 26: 313-324 Vol. contains a report
by Y. Rak, W.H. Kimbel, and E. Hovers about a Neandertal infant found at
Amud cave in Israel

More recently (1996) there was a piece by J-J Hublin, F. Spoor, M.
Braun, F. Zonneveld, and S. Condemi, (Nature, 381:224-226), about a
hominid temporal bone fragment found at Arcy-sur-Cure, France.
Developmental characteristics indicate this material belongs to an
individual about one year old. The authors used high resolution
computed tomography to study the morphology of the bony labyrinth
(semi-circular canals) of this fossil. They wrote: "The Arcy temporal
specimen can be identified as Neandertal on the basis of the full suite
of Neandertal features shown by its labyrinth."

I can recall a couple of other reports and papers, but do not have the
citations right at hand.

Can you give more information about this YEC publication? I am curious
about the procedures used to determine the effect of aging on skeletons;
curious about the techniques used to *extrapolate* and determine what
the skeletal morphology of a 400 year old human would look like. There
is considerable data on the range from -9 months through maybe 80, or 90
or even 100 years old. Forensic anthropology uses this data within a
legal/courtroom setting on a regular basis. I have seen no trends in
this data indicating a movement toward a neandertal morphology.

Blaine D. McArthur