Re: Origin of body plans (phyla)

Arthur V. Chadwick (chadwicka@swau.edu)
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 09:56:21 -0700

At 09:56 PM 10/22/98 -0600, you wrote:
>This is in response to Art's criticism that the proposed progression of
>forms leading to the arthropods do not occur in that order in the fossil
>record. He furthermore claimed that trilobites are among the first
>appearing metazoans in the fossil record.

Thanks for this excellent summary of the current state of interpretation of
the fossil record of the Precambrian-Early Cambrian. I have no
disagreement with most of what you have reported. I would add that in the
southwest, where I have done most of my work, the base of the Cambrian is
most often delineated by the appearance of the first trilobite above what
is otherwise a generally unfossiliferous section of Precambrian sediments.
This gives a somewhat different insight to your comments regarding the
situation in some other parts of the world. I would still argue that the
data thus far available that I have seen does not support the existence of
podopods before trilobites.
Art
http://biology.swau.edu