Re: Origin of body plans (phyla)

Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 10:24:09 +1000

Dear Arthur & All

The key phrase I used was "mineralised skeletons". Many crustaceans lack
mineralised skeletons, but get by very well with chitinous ones. My
understanding of the trilobite skeleton was that it consisted of chitin
mineralised by calcite. Trilos that whose skeleton was not mineralised would
still function, but would not leave a fossil record.

I don't see why "To conclude that the trails that look like the trails made by
trilobites were made by trilobites without hard parts because no skeletal
remains were found in the same sediments" is an example of "wishful thinking on
someone's part" when dealing with the early Cambrian. The other examples you
cite (and I could add to them) come from eras when mineralised trilos were
common. Tommotian trilo body fossils are absent, but not their trace fossils.
Without looking it up, I understand this is a world wide phenomon in those
places which have a complete or relatively complete Neoproterozoic-Early
Cambrian succession.