God of gaps (was Re: What would you ask ?) (fwd)

Joel Cannon's (joel_lst@alpha.centenary.edu)
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 10:36:03 -0500 (EDT)

John Mckiness asked about the origin of the "God of the Gaps"
phrase. George Murphy quoted the Bonhoeffer pages which show the clear
sense of God of the Gaps.

At the CIS/ASA meeting this summer, I heard Michael Poole state that
C.A. Coulson was the first to use the term and did so in the early
1950's.

> John P. McKiness wrote:
> > As an aside to all on the list, Dr. Behe seems to think that the term "god
> > of the gaps" was coined by his critics. Seems to me that I have used it
> > much longer than his ideas have been expressed; does anyone know the history
> > of the term.

George Murphy replied>

The term certainly wasn't coined in the last few years. _The
Westminster Dictionary of Christian Theology_, published in 1983, has
a separate entry for it, but this deals with the concept & doesn't
trace the history of the phrase itself. Its use is often connected
with Bonhoeffer, & especially with his later writings in _Letters and
Papers from Prison_. In a letter dated May 25th 1944 he says:
"Weizsaecker's book on the world view of physics is still keeping me busy. It
has brought home to me how wrong it is to use God as a stop-gap for the
incompleteness of our knowledge."
He deals at some length here with criticisms of "God as a stop-gap", meaning
essentially our "God of the gaps." I don't know, though, if this is the origin of the
phrase & also don't have Bonhoeffer's German here.

Joel W. Cannon | (318)869-5160
Dept. of Physics | (318)869-5026 FAX
Centenary College of Louisiana | cannon@alpha.centenary.edu
P. O. Box 41188 |