Re: only 50 genes away

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 19:22:47 -0500

At 07:00 AM 10/20/98 -0400, George Murphy wrote:
>Glenn - Thanks for the reference. I can hardly speak for anti-evolutionists,
>but the question you pose is part of a larger one which also arises with
AI &
>cloning. Is there any spiritual parallel to the Turing test? That test
gives >us a way (or a proposed way) to test for intelligence, but some
would maintain
>that that isn't identical with the potential to have "true fear of God and
>faith in God". How would we test for the latter?

I think behavior is the only test. That is why I put so much emphasis on
the behaviors seen in the hominids. I believe you are spiritual because
you do spiritual things i.e., engage in spiritual behavior. To me, when I
see what appears to be spiritual behavior among earlier hominids as early
as 400,000 years ago, I have to apply the same test to them that I apply to
you. Consider if you found this in the Brazilian jungles what fear would
strike your heart:

"But Mania's most intriguing find lies under a protective shed. As he
opens the door sunlight illuminates a cluster of smooth stones and pieces
of bone that he believes were arranged by humans to pave a 27-foot-wide
circle.
"'They intentionally paved this area for cultural activities,' says Mania.
'We found here a large anvil of quartzite set between the horns of a huge
bison, near it were fractured human skulls.'" ~ Rick Gore, "The First
Europeans," National Geographic, July, 1997, p. 110

This is from Bilzingsleben, a 400,000 year old village, yes village with
huts, hearths at the hut doors, work areas where they fashioned tools out
of wood and the cultural area. If this isn't a spiritual Turing test I
don't know what is.

There is also the Golan Venus (Berekhat Ram figurine) from 300,000 years
ago which is a partially carved figure of a human female.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood