Re: Evolution is alive and well

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 08:09:53 -0400

Tim Ikeda wrote:
> Essentially, I don't feel the case has yet been made by Moorad that
> "evolution is unfalsifiable." That was the original claim that
> triggered many of these posts. .....................................
Whatever one may say about the falsifiability of evolutionary theory, "special
creation" seems to me _less_ falsifiable from a scientific standpoint. One sometimes
finds statements in the creation science literature to the effect that evolution
predicts a continuum from one taxa to another while creation science doesn't, thereby
giving a testable difference between two theories. But a theory of special creation by
itself predicts nothing at all about how finely "spaced" species & other taxa are. & in
fact creation science can account for _any_ evidence from paleontology simply by saying
"that's the way things were created". "Apparent age" is of course an extreme example of
this.

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/