Re: Bill wrote:

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 18:05:49 -0500

At 03:45 PM 10/17/98 -0600, John W Burgeson wrote:

>Why else am I a PC? Two arguments come to mind; there are others, I
>suspect.
>
>1. God HAS communicated with me on occasion. As a result, my course of
>action was changed -- history took a different course than if He had not.
>
>2. God HAS communicated with others on occasion -- scripture has many
>examples. As a result, people did different things -- history was
>changed.
>
>The communication, in the sense used above, is clearly non-natural. There
>is no causation (atoms bumping into other atoms) going on to cause it. So
>God is clearly interacting with his creation, at least sometimes. This
>rules out Functional Integrity.
>
>But it is also periodic -- not continuous! I don't "hear" from him all
>the time, just sometimes. I suspect it is only when I am thinking deeply
>on some scripture passage by the way -- but that's a secondary idea.
>"Periodic," of course, isn't the best word -- it implies a cycle.
>"Spastic" comes closer.
>
>Copying Glenn on this as it turned into a "why I am a PC" note rather
>quickly!

Hi Burgy,

A comment on the above. We agree that God communicates with his creation.
But what makes you limit the form of communciation with the developing
creation to ONLY miraculous creation events? I think we would agree that
this is not a Scriptural mandate, so we should be free to examine other
possibilities.

Why could God not interfere constantly in the quantum world, causing the
correct mutation thus mimicking the functional integrity view?

Why could God not have designed life's developmental pathways into the
fabric of the phase spaces of biopolymers and the environment of the earth
and then let it follow His predestined (but difficult to detect) pathway
which then would be a complete functionally integegral system? This would
be a communcation that would last for the life of the universe. It doesn't
mean that God didn't communicate to nature at all.

I guess what I don't see is the reason for the limitation upon God.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood