Re: Cambridge Publishes Neo-Creationism

Brian D Harper (bharper@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu)
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 17:46:04 -0400

At 04:09 PM 10/12/98 +0000, Marty wrote:

>Creationists have finally slipped one past the goalkeeper.

Are you serious? Who is this goal keeper of which you speak?

> Cambridge
>University Press has just published William A. Dembski's THE DESIGN
>INFERENCE. In it Dembski acknowledges such creationists as Phillip Johnson,
>Michael Behe, and A. E. Wilder-Smith. The creationist David Berlinski wrote
>the jacket endorsement (see below).

This is news. Why do you say Berlinski is a creationist?

>If you really want to see what Dembski is up to, compare this book to his
>blatantly theological MERE CREATION: SCIENCE, FAITH & INTELLIGENT DESIGN
>(from the evangelical Christian publisher InterVarsity). This book has also
>just been published. In it Dembski lays out the theological agenda behind
>the so-called "intelligent design movement."
>
>This neo-creationism is a lot more sophisticated and slickly packaged than
>the creationism that lost in the courts back in the 80s. Given that 50% of
>Americans are creationists, this new-style creationism may not only slip
>past the academic publishers (as it has here), but also past the courts. The
>threat to science education is real. I urge you to take this threat
>seriously and meet it head on.

I know, let's have a good old fashioned book burning. Sounds
fun, who wants to play?

Seriously, I'm 100% opposed to teaching creationism in schools.
However I feel your attitude is more a danger to science than
Dembski is to science education.

[...]

Brian Harper
Associate Professor
Applied Mechanics
The Ohio State University

"It appears to me that this author is asking
much less than what you are refusing to answer"
-- Galileo (as Simplicio in _The Dialogue_)