Re: Re: Evolution is alive and well

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 13:19:08 -0500 (EST)

At 11:07 AM 10/10/98 -0500, Glenn R. Morton wrote:

[deleted]

>One can do this with almost any theory and end up saying that we know
>nothing about everything. How does Gravity cause bodies to attract?
>Gravitons? Then how do gravitons move? What keeps them going at the speed
>of light? What IS a graviton? Are there other particles that make up
>gravitons, in other words is a graviton a composite particle? etc. etc. etc.
>
>This technique is a bit like the child that always asks why. One can
>always say we don't know everthing, but that doesn't mean we know nothing.
>glenn

You bring up the best example of what a theory is and other theories ought
to be. The gravitational force does not really explain why bodies fall but
once posited allows us to make predications. For instance, the gravitational
force proposed by Newton, for instance, unified terrestrial and celestial
mechanics. Needless to say it allowed us to send men to the moon.

Moorad