Re: Evolution is alive and well

sschaff@SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Fri, 09 Oct 1998 10:31:48 -0700 (PDT)

Moorad wrote:

> Christians ought to realize that evolutionary theory cannot be proven false
> since it cannot be falsified. [...]

I have seen you make this statement several times, and I am puzzled by
it. I can think of several kinds of observation that _I_ think would
falsify evolution (by which I mean common descent of all life forms on
the planet), at least in anything remotely like its present form. And
the opponents of evolution certainly think it can be falsified, since
they spend a good deal of ink trying to do precisely that. Could you
explain why you think it is unfalsifiable?

Thanks,

Steve Schaffner
sschaff@slac.stanford.edu