RE: What would you ask ?

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Thu, 08 Oct 1998 17:16:36 -0500

At 09:20 AM 10/8/98 -0400, Bill Hamilton wrote:
>>Another question is whether he [Mike Behe] visualizes the IDer acting
>periodically
>>throughout time (a la Ross) or whether the information for future complex
>>systems was in the original created life forms.
>>

>This is an excellent question. I hope you get to ask it and will post his
>answer.

Behe already gave an answer:

"Suppose that nearly four billion years ago the designer made the first
cell already containing all of the irreducibly complex biochemical systems
discussed here and many others. (One can postulate that the designs for
systems that were to be used later, such as blood clotting were present but
not 'turned on.' In present-day organisms plenty of genes are turned off
for a while, sometimes for generations, to be turned on at a later time.)
Additionally, suppose the designer placed into the cell some other systems
for which we cannot adduce enough evidence to conclude design. The cell
containing the designed systems then was left on autopilot to reproduce,
mutate, eat and be eaten, bump against rocks, and suffer all the vagaries
of life on earth. During this process pace Ken Miller, pseudogenes might
occasionally arise and a complex organ might become nonfunctional. These
chance events do not mean that the initial biochemical systems were not
designed. The cellular warts and wrinkles that Miller takes as evidence of
evolution may simply be evidence of age." ~ Michael J. Behe, Darwin's Black
Box, (New York: The Free Press, 1996), p. 227-228

My questions:
do we have a gene for flagellum?
So why argue agains pseudogenes

glenn