Re: Dawkins and increase in information

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Thu, 01 Oct 1998 12:08:17 -0500

At 08:51 AM 10/1/98 -0500, Moorad Alexanian wrote:
>At 08:17 PM 9/30/98 -0500, Glenn R. Morton wrote:

>>Yes the video gives the impression that Dawkins had no response to the
>>question, which I initially found so unbelievable that I am sure that it
>>made me doubt the video in the first place. I am a geophysicist, yet I
>>could answer that question without batting an eye and Dawkins is certainly
>>more knowledgeable about biology than I.
>
>[deleted]
>
>>glenn
>
>Is the question asked Dawkins analogous to the following: Energy is
>conserved. There is a Big Bang--a beginning to the universe. Therefore,
>physicists can be asked to provide an answer to the question of the origin
>of the existing energy. I am sure cosmologists have already thought of an
>answer to such questions one of which would be "I do not know."

I didn't think it was analogous to that. The question was about information.
Gillian Brown: Can you give an example of a genetic mutation or an
evolutionary process which can be seen to increase the information in the
genome?

Information in a genome can be observed before and after the mutation and
polyploidy does in deed increase information content. And I have recently
run across an example of possible animal polyploidy, which seems to be very
rare.

"In an early ancestor of the zebrafish--a common aquarium-dweller and
research model--the entire genome doubled, according to John Postlethwait
of the Univeristy of Oregon in Eugene, who presented his case at a recent
evolution meeting. He suggests tht the ray-finned fish put their extra
copies of genese to diverse uses and so evolved a wealth of different body
shapes, for example, using an extra fin-bud gene to make the stinging fins
of the lionfish 'mane'." ~ Gretchen Vogel, " Doubled Genes May Explain
Fish Diversity," Science Aug 21, 1998, p. 1119-1120, p. 1119

That is an increase in information
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood