Re: Dawkins and increase in information

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Thu, 01 Oct 1998 08:51:28 -0500 (EST)

At 08:17 PM 9/30/98 -0500, Glenn R. Morton wrote:
>At 06:06 PM 9/30/98 -0400, Brian D Harper wrote:

>>Hello Glenn. I guess I'm a little confused as to why you
>>conclude that Dawkins was stumped. Doesn't Dawkins
>>deal with this question at some length in the transcript
>>that you quoted? Given that the question was probably a
>>surprise and that he needed an answer accessible to a
>>lay person, I thought he gave a reasonable response.
>>Now, I suppose that some may not have found the answer
>>convincing. But this seems irrelevant in the present
>>circumstance since, according to my understanding, the
>>video gives the impression that Dawkins had no response
>>to the question.

[deleted]

>Yes the video gives the impression that Dawkins had no response to the
>question, which I initially found so unbelievable that I am sure that it
>made me doubt the video in the first place. I am a geophysicist, yet I
>could answer that question without batting an eye and Dawkins is certainly
>more knowledgeable about biology than I.

[deleted]

>glenn

Is the question asked Dawkins analogous to the following: Energy is
conserved. There is a Big Bang--a beginning to the universe. Therefore,
physicists can be asked to provide an answer to the question of the origin
of the existing energy. I am sure cosmologists have already thought of an
answer to such questions one of which would be "I do not know."

Moorad