Re: Is Ross to independent ?

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 20:46:15 -0500

At 01:56 PM 7/28/98 EST, McCarrick, Allan wrote:
>A second feeling I am getting is that Ross himself seems isolated from
>outside criticism. He does not test his ideas in such forums as ours
>where capable people will probably disagree.
>
>Any thoughts ?

I think this can be said of ALL apologetical leaders. Those who wish
successfully publish their ideas have a tendency never again to be seen in
public where someone can challenge them. This is truly an unfortunate
concept.

I would note that where I am knowledgeable, I would agree that Ross is very
good in astronomy. But where I am knowledgeable in anthropology, his
explanations and statements are as silly and unsupportable as are any
young-earth creationist. He claims that the mtDNA study of Neanderthal
proves that Neanderthal couldn't be related to modern humans. Even if one
takes the position that Neanderthal left no descendants on earth, he is
still related to us via common descent from a common ancestor about 600,000
years ago. He has also stated that if mankind is older than 60,000 years
then the Bible is wrong. Modern man appeared on earth twice this long
ago--at 120,000 years ago.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood