messages from mass mailers and not subscribers.

James Mahaffy (mahaffy@dordt.edu)
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 09:13:42 -0500

Steven Schimmrich wrote:

> Fight spam!
>
> The letter below was sent to the ASA mailing list by a clueless
> subscriber.

Actually I am reasonably sure they are coming from an outside mass
mailer that has NO interest in ASA but is just using the list. Look at
the headers that Steve included. The user is
Comments: Authenticated Sender is <user122@whynot.net>
responsefivehundred@usa.net

With these sort of names I suspect that whynot.net is forged and does
not exist and it may not even have anything to do with usa.net.

That is a clue that someone has found a way into Calvin's lists.
Actually the url works and gives a totally different e-mail and now he
probably put a cookie on the site and I will get more unwanted mail
sighhh!!! I thought Calvin's lists were open to non members and they
need to make some changes to keep out spam. But when I unsubscribed to
post a reply it did not let me through and they have what looks like a
decent confirmation which probably screens out machines that are just
trying to subscribe to lists.

What we really need is a law like the one they made to prevent FAX
machines being used by mass mailers.

--
James Mahaffy (mahaffy@dordt.edu)      Phone: 712 722-6279
Biology Department                    FAX :  712 722-1198