Re: fideism

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 12:07:04 -0400

John P. McKiness wrote:

> Fideism in my dictionary (_The American Heritage dic tion ary_, Third Ed.,
> 1993) is: "Reliance on faith alone rather than scientific reasoning or
> philosophy in questions of religion." I see no problem with that, that
> appears to be what Christian faith is all about.

We are saved by grace alone, through faith alone. In order to
understand the implications of that, we make use of linguistic studies,
history, science, philosophy, &c. If it were all a matter f faith
alone, faith by itself would enable us to know Hebrew and the geography
of Palestine. It doesn't. The task of Christian theology is _fides
quarens intellectum_, faith in search of understanding.
Shalom,
George

gmurphy@imperium.net
http://www.imperium.net/~gmurphy