RE: Sumer under water?

Dick Fischer (dfischer@mnsinc.com)
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 22:54:21 -0400

John wrote:
>Dick,
>
>I didn't want to enter this discussion but as a geologist I am puzzled by
>your statement on the source of salt in the soils.

>>There was enough salt washed out of the Armenian mountains in the
>>irrigation process to increase the salinity of early cities to where
>>the soil would no longer support crops. Early Eridu was abandoned after
>>a few hundred years for that reason. This suggests that the mountains
>>were also submerged, thus the salt, and that in turn suggests, perhaps,
>>an earlier date for the submersion of Southern Mesopotamia than you
>>proposed. Not criticizing, just exploring.

>I do not understand why the salt in the soil suggests that the mountains
>were submerged.

I was thinking of salt evaporites that are formed when sea water is
trapped and forms salt beds when the water is gone. Salt had to
get into the hills somehow, and that is one possible way. But by all
means, you geologists are better equipped to address that.

Dick Fischer, The Origins Solution - http://www.orisol.com
"The answer we should have known about 150 years ago."