Sumer under water?

Dick Fischer (dfischer@mnsinc.com)
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 00:10:02 -0400

Glenn wrote:

>Last night I mentioned that present rates of progradation of the
>Tigris and Euphrates rivers would imply that in 4800 BC the
>Persian Gulf would have been just shy of 300 miles inland of the
>present shoreline.

I must admit I have not studied the history of ancient Sumer before
there were people living there. I do know the rationale for
settling the region was because the soil was rich and suitable for
growing crops. But not being a geologist I really don't know.
What is soil like that has been covered by salt water right up to
the time settlers arrive?

Dick Fischer, The Origins Solution - http://www.orisol.com
"The answer we should have known about 150 years ago."