RE: RE: Drawing Lines

Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 09:01:03 -0400

Bob,

Thanks for your response. I'm going to have to take some time and think
this through further. Pity that we don't have the point of view that the
Old Testament saints had who could understand the nuances of Genesis 1.
For example, what is the real meaning behind the description of God
"forming adam from the dust of the earth and breathing into his
nostrils," the (to us) strange - and rather detailed - description of
the creation of "woman." What is the real meaning behind the act of
eating the forbidden fruit, the curse of God that condemned the serpent
to crawl on its belly and eat dust? Did the serpent speak and, if it
did, would this have startled the woman or was this a normal way to
"commune with nature?"

What I find also surprising is that the Old & New Testament people
evidently had no problems with this account. I'm not a historian by any
stretch of the imagination, but is there any evidence that people in
antiquity questioned the Genesis account?

I agree with you that the fear expressed by Cain points at the presence
of "others" who might kill him. Whether or not this fear was based on
any fact is of course not known. If we assume that there were others
who lived outside the Garden of Eden, why would Adam and Eve not have
expressed the same fear as Cain?

As for "moral degeneration," this would suggest that, at one time, moral
standards of the "others" was higher. We read in Gen. 1:27 that "God
created man in his own image" whatever that means. If these "males and
females" were created "good" (vs. 31), should we then assume that they
didn't kill each other?

I should probably do some background reading including Dick Fischer's
and Glen Morton's books before commenting further. Maybe my questions
have been answered by them or others.

Chuck Vandergraaf