RE: Chocolate

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Mon, 01 Jun 1998 14:09:00 -0500 (EST)

At 03:07 PM 5/29/98 -0400, Vandergraaf, Chuck wrote:
>Wendee & Moorad
>
>I must confess that I have some difficulty with the
>Bible-chocolate-Aspirin comparison. I can't quite put my finger on it,
>but something bothers me. Maybe it's a case of preaching to the
>converted; maybe because the analogy is a bit simplistic.
>
>Let me elaborate:
>
>Corrie ten Boom passed out chocolates to theologians and Moorad takes
>Aspirin from a bottle. The theologians trusted Corrie ten Boom and, if
>Moorad takes Aspirin instead of a generic ASA, the tablets have the
>"Bayer cross" on them. Yet, we warn our children not to take candy from
>strangers (certainly not chocolates) and we wouldn't think of taking
>just any old pill.
>
>To believers, the Bible falls in the same category as
>chocolates-from-a-friend or Aspirin with a Bayer cross: it can be
>trusted because it is the word of God.
>
>But is it really that simple? It seems to me that it is easier to
>believe in a resurrected Jesus than a six-day creation for the simple
>reason that there is no physical evidence contrary to the resurrection
>while there is ample evidence in nature that argues against a six-day
>creation. That's one reason why we analyze the Bible: not to question
>the resurrection, but to square the general with the special revelation.
>

>Maybe a valid analogy between the apparent controversy between the
>general and special revelation would be a warning on the box of
>chocolates or on an Aspirin tablet along the lines of "warning: the
>surgeon general has decided that the contents of this box or in this
>pill are hazardous to your health." Not that the Bible is hazardous to
>our health, of course, but that there are perceived mixed messages.
>
>Shalom!
>
>Chuck Vandergraaf

Dear Chuck,

My comparison was between the taking of aspirin and solving problems
(headaches, etc.) and accepting the Christ as Lord and Savior. People
usually indicate that they cannot accept the Lord since they really do not
understand Him nor how He accomplishes the work in people's lives. I would
bring the example of the aspirin as something which we do not really know
how it works but does indeed work! That is, one's understanding is not what
gives power to God's Word.

Take care,

Moorad