Re: Coal /YEC - Gastaldo Critique III

Glenn R. Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Mon, 25 May 1998 22:10:25 -0500

At 09:43 PM 5/25/98 -0600, Bill Payne wrote:
>This was in November, and, by the time I
>saw it in February, the winter rains had washed most of the soil away
>from the root ball, leaving the roots exposed.
>
>The smallest roots I saw were extremely fine, about the diameter of
>human hair. Given the violent uprooting the tree experienced, I would
>have expected the fine roots would have been left in the ground.

minor point. Your expectation is not consistent with the observation that
there had previously been a ball of dirt. The dirt, containing the fine
roothairs would have come along with the tree. The waters then washed away
the dirt exposing the root hairs contained in dirt ball.

Question: what evidence do you have that the fine rootlets you saw were
originally OUTSIDE of the dirt ball? Only if the rootlets were outside of
the dirt ball is your expectation to be expected and a counter example to
you expectation a surprise.
glenn

Adam, Apes and Anthropology
Foundation, Fall and Flood