Re: Coconino sandstone

Steven Schimmrich (schimmrich@earthlink.net)
Sat, 09 May 1998 13:46:21 -0400

On Sunday, March 29, Bill Payne posted some comments continuing
our discussion of the Coconino Sandstone in the Grand Canyon. I
haven't replied until now, not because his comments puzzled me
or were particularly hard to address, simply because (1) I've been
very busy lately with real work and (2) the library at Kutztown
University doesn't carry the geological journals Bill referenced
and I wanted to wait until I had an opportunity to read these
papers on one of my periodic 30 mile trips to the library at
nearby Lehigh University before answering.

Anyway, Bill wrote:

> You "contend that he Coconino is terrestrial, not submarine..."

I contend that the consensus of most geologists who have studied
the Coconino Sandstone is that it is a subaerial deposit. Pick up any
geology text which mentions the Coconino and it's described as a
terrestrial sand dune deposit. I have not personally studied the
Coconino in any detail (other than seeing it in the field) therefore
most of my knowledge of it is secondhand from the primary geologic
literature.

> Glen Vishner, Prof. of Geology at Univ of Tulsa in OK, has:
>
> A. "noted that large storms, or amplified tides, produce submarine sand
> dunes called 'sand waves.'...

I wasn't able to find Visher's book but published descriptions of sand
waves in other texts seem to clearly show that they are NOT what is seen
in the Coconino. Why? Because as you say below, "the average slope of
Coconino Sandstone cross beds is about 25 degrees from the horizontal" and
sand waves have much shallower slopes. As Allen, 1982 (reference B below