supernova rings

Paul Arveson (arveson@oasys.dt.navy.mil)
Wed, 6 May 1998 12:05:49 -0400

I sent our question to one of the Principal Investigators and received
this response (at bottom). Sorry about the confusion of my answer:

-----------

Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 12:04:13 -0500 (EST)
From: "CHRIS (410)516-6562" <BURROWS@stsci.edu>
Subject: Re: CNSHD65217 Re: Re: supernova rings
To: ARVESON, ComputerSupport@stsci.edu

You are absolutely right that the light from the rings is delayed... but the
rings are only a few light years across not thousands as you seem to assume...
so there was time for the whole structure to be lit up before our HST
observations... In fact this time delay has been used to derive the best
distance yet to the Magellanic clouds...The time it took for the rings to
fully
illuminate, together with their apparent angular size gives us the distance...

Hope this answers your question.

Chris

Paul Arveson, Code 724, Research Physicist, Signatures Directorate
Naval Surface Warfare Center, Carderock Division
9500 MacArthur Blvd., West Bethesda, MD 20817-5700
arveson@oasys.dt.navy.mil bridges@his.com
(301) 227-3831 (301) 227-4511 (FAX)