Re: apparent age

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 14:37:21 -0400

At 12:35 PM 4/29/98 -0400, Paul Arveson wrote:

>3. We have positive evidence for the rapid creation of old wine in Cana.

Alternatively we have positive evidence for the rapid creation of wine that
was not old, but could not be distinguished from old wine by the people
present at the wedding. We achieve certain desirable qualities in wine by
aging. That doesn't mean those qualities cannot be achieved without aging.
If Jesus used a means of making wine that was available to Him but not to
us, then you could argue that there was not an appearance of age -- except
in the perceptions of those who assume wine can be made only by aging.

>Likewise we have positive evidence for the long age of the universe, as
>Morton and others have cited. It is arbitrary to reject this positive
>evidence in one case and not the other. The massive amount of evidence
>demands a verdict.

Agreed.
Bill Hamilton, Staff Research Engineer
Chassis and Vehicle Systems, GM R&D Center
Warren, MI
hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com / whamilto@mich.com (home)