RE: Speed of Light/Gravity

Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 00:47:30 -0400

Bill,

I've often wondered about the speed of gravity, but I have never heard any
reasonable argument that information (e.g. gravity) can be transmitted
faster than the speed of light.

The hypothetical question I have posed to physicists is the following: if
the sun all of a sudden disappeared, it would take ~8 minutes for us to be
engulfed in darkness. Would it also take 8 minutes for the earth to fly off
in space (and would we have 8 minutes to see the sun become progressively
smaller, or would it happen sooner?

For that matter, is there any reason, physical or otherwise, why nothing can
go faster than the speed of light? I understand that mass approaches
infinity as the speed of light is approached, but does this apply to gravity
as well? (whatever gravity is, anyway)

Chuck Vandergraaf
Pinawa, MB