Re: >Re: >RE: What does ID mean?

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 16:27:45 -0500 (EST)

At 07:33 PM 4/23/98 -0500, Glenn Morton wrote:
>At 08:29 AM 4/23/98, Moorad Alexanian wrote:
>
>>Dear Glenn,
>>
>>Design or not, it seems to me that what you are saying would almost imply a
>>sort of deism. I ask you, is the God you are referring to the God of
>>Scripture who became flesh and died for us?
>>
>>Enjoy your posts,
>
>Thank you. Is it Deism to have God operate the planetary orbits and the
>stellar orbits via law? Is it deism to have God control the 'location' of
>an electron around a nucleus by means of quantum mechanical laws? It is
>really odd to me that the only place we worry about deism is when one wants
>to discuss biology. Explain to me why it is so much more deistic for God to
>order the planets rather than ordering biology by law?

Dear Glenn,

Let us not confuse how God upholds the creation and the laws that we use to
describe parts of it, e.g. solar system. The former we know nothing about.
The latter are just humanly created models, viz. toys, which are useful to
get us from one place of the solar system to another. Remember the map of a
city which is never the real city. Our toy model of the solar system is not
the real thing.

The big difference is that in physics we are dealing with the description of
matter/energy; whereas in the latter we are discussing possible creative
power of biological laws. Laws may be merely descriptive and not prescriptive.

>By the way, we physicists put deism on the map with the divine clockmaker
>viewpoint that dominated Christianity in the 18th century yet
>anti-evolutionists wish to return to those days.
>

>glenn

Once a defense lawyer told me that I would never serve in a criminal case as
a juror. The reason: as I scientist I would demand too much proof.
Therefore, all good scientists would be excused by the prosecution. I just
cannot swallow the basic notion of evolutionary theory. It is too ambitious
and it may be based on the false premise that the living came from the
non-living with no supernatural help.

Take care,

Moorad