Re: What does ID mean?

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 13:58:29 -0500 (EST)

At 06:29 PM 4/16/98 -0400, Steven Schimmrich wrote:
>At 12:16 PM 4/16/98 -0500, Moorad Alexanian wrote:
>>
>>As an evolutionist do you need God? And, as a Christian, do you need
evolution?

> As a Christian, I believe everyone NEEDS God Moorad, evolutionist or not :).
>
> I do not need evolution, I can take it or leave it. I do believe,
however, that
>evolutionary theory is sound science and explains what we see in the
natural world
>and the geologic record of life.
>
> Personally, I believe God played an active supernatural role in the initial
>creation of life (I see too many scientific problems with abiogenesis) and
guided
>the evolutionary development of life through time (based upon my belief
that God
>is interested in His creation and didn't just wind things up and let them
go). I
>also believe, based on Scripture, that He supernaturally intervened in the
creation
>of man (when and how are problematic but I never claimed to have all the
answers).

>- Steve.

Dear Steve,

I just began to read Behe's book. As a biochemist Behe adds considerably to
the discussion of evolution. But it seems to me that what he is saying is
almost obvious to any serious and honest scientist. As a physicist I realize
that asking for a theoretical explanation of the value of the fine-structure
constant is asking someone to do work which will lead to a Nobel prize. It
seems to me that what the evolutionists set up to solve is a problem
millions of order of magnitude more difficult. I am not sure if such a
theory exists. I believe there is a mystery to life that we will never
understand. Let us hope that we may find the answers to such difficult
questions once we cross the threshold from life to death.

Moorad