Re: more, briefly

George Andrews (andrewsg@letu.edu)
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 10:18:30 -0500

--------------0E8CCB4DBAD70F74EFAF30C0

Glenn Morton wrote:

> At 10:45 AM 4/11/98 -0400, pigliucci@utk.edu wrote:
>
> >For a more intuitive definition, epiphenomenon simply means "emergent
> >property". The simplest example of emergent property I can think of is
> >the junction of oxyne and hydrogen to yield water. While there is
> >nothing magical or non-physical about it, the properties of water are in
> >no way reducible to the sum of the properties of hydrogen and oxygen,
> >since what makes water what it is is the *interaction* between the two.
>
> What is the difference between saying that mind is an epiphenomenon
> of the body and mind is the sould of the body?

Perhaps there is no difference between mind and soul; after all, it was the
union (interaction?) between God's breath and earthly material that produced
Adam, the "living soul". Sounds like an epiphenomenon to me!

What about information content as being as example of an epiphenomenon? Take
for example the distinctly different information content conjured up in your
mind when you read the following two sets of letters: phicsys vs. physics.
Could we say the latter "contains" something "more" than the former?

George A.

--George Andrews Jr.Assistant Professor of PhysicsLeTourneau Universityandrewsg@letu.edu

--------------0E8CCB4DBAD70F74EFAF30C0Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-asciiContent-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit