Re: Answers in Genesis

James K. Gruetzner (jkgruet@unm.edu)
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 22:44:05 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, John W Burgeson wrote:

> Steven wrote:
>> " Parker claims to have a PhD in
>> biology but I think it's in education (ie not a degree that involved
>> doing biological research).""

> My copy of Parker's book, CREATION, THE FACTS OF LIFE,
> lists him as
>
> Gary E. Parker, M.S., Ed. D.
>
> There is no claim in the book of a Ph-D. The last (thoird) printing was
> 1984;
> maybe he has been to school since then.

In the stuff I've seen, he is often mentioned as "Dr.Parker", who
had written a textbook on biology prior to becoming a YEC. Many
people presume that such means he is a PhD in biology (I know I had
that impression), but I've never heard him make that claim and have
seen the "Ed.D." written where appropriate. My impression is that
he would correct someone who misunderstood--but that's reading a lot
into the few times I've seen him.

In any event, he is no doubt as professionally competent to make
declarations on this matter as any other Ed.D. He also strikes
me as having given more thought to the subject than many; it is
very incongruous to see him paired up with Ken Ham who hasn't.

Yours in Christ, | ----Solo Christus----
James | In faith and in science,
James K. Gruetzner <jkgruet@unm.edu> | All truth is God's truth.
"A bruised reed he will not break; a smoldering wick he will not snuff out."