Re: esther & MN and the resurrection???

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 08:23:02 -0500

At 06:29 PM 3/19/98 -0500, George Murphy wrote:

>Demythologizers (Bultmann &c) do not try to provide explanations
>for the resurrection in terms of natural processes. I assume you're
>referring to rationalistic explanations which generally work by omitting
>central features of the account (e.g., Jesus wasn't really dead). That
>isn't what's happening in Esther. It's an exaplanation of what happened
>in terms of natural human, political &c motives & actions with no
>explicit reference to God. It is not a rationalistic trimming of a
>miraculous story.

It's true that there is no explicit reference to God. However, Mordecai
and Esther both fasted. Esther 4:12-16 doesn't explicitly mention God,
it's true, but those verses seem to me to be the words of people who trust
that God will protect them (and fasting is the act of an individual who
understands that there is a sovereign God and submits himself to Him).

I do agree with you that this is an example of God working (powerfully)
through events that seem ordinary.
Bill Hamilton
Staff Research Engineer
Chassis and Vehicle Systems