Re: Re: Coconino - Evidence for a flood?

gordon brown (gbrown@euclid.Colorado.EDU)
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 10:28:16 -0700 (MST)

John,

Your recent post contains an allusion to the phrase `science falsely so
called' from the King James Version of I Timothy 6:20. Because of the way
we use the word `science' today this is a mistranslation. Our English word
`science' comes from a Latin word for knowledge. The Greek word that Paul
used here is `gnosis' (knowledge). When Paul wrote to Timothy there were
false teachers who boasted of having special knowledge. Their philosophy,
known as gnosticism, taught that all matter is evil. It was this
philosophy, not the science of his day or our day, that Paul was warning
against.

Gordon Brown
Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado