Re: ImageoDei/Relationships

Keith B Miller (kbmill@ksu.edu)
Sat, 7 Mar 1998 11:31:29 -0600

George wrote:

> <<2) If we don't look beyond Gen.1, vv.26-28 seem to view the
> image of God in humanity as involving both relationship with God and
> with the rest of creation. With God, simply because it is the image &
> likeness _of God_. & as having the image of God, humanity is to have a
> certain relationship - "let them have dominion [which requires some
> careful interpretation]" - with the rest of creation. One can say
> formally that the latter is a consequence of having the image, but you
> can't really separate the two: If we are in an improper relationship
> with God's creation, we don't posses the image.>>

George, I have a question. Considering the above, how do you understand
the passage in Genesis 9:4-6. This is part of the Noahian covenant.

"... And from each man, too, I will demand an accounting for the life of
his fellow man. 'Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be
shed; for in the image of God has God made man."

This passage seems to base the prohibition against murder on all humans
bearing the image of God.

Keith

Keith B. Miller
Department of Geology