Re: Social Problems and Evolution (Part C: Racism)

Russell Maatman (rmaat@mtcnet.net)
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 20:47:05 -0600

Bill Hamilton wrote on Friday, March 06, 1998 9:55 AM:

> Russell Maatman wrote
>
> >What happens if we do use the worldly way of proving that all races are
> >equal?
> >

> >First, it is conceivable, as suggested earlier, that scientific studies
> >will suggest that some races are inferior. Such a conclusion might be
the
> >consequence of using intelligence tests. Obviously, that conclusion
could
> >be invalid; scientific conclusions are usually tentative. But if we are
> >going to depend upon scientific conclusions, the only usable conclusions
> >are those we have, not those we might have in the future. Then, if we
use
> >the worldly way of thinking, racism would be justified at the time
results
> >showing inferiority are obtained. Later, racism could be proven wrong by
> >newer results. It is obviously ludicrous for morality to depend on
> >scientific analyses.
> >

> In addition, it may cause the truth to be suppressed. Not long ago a
> candidate for president of Michigan State University withdrew his name
> under pressure because he had stated a fact that every track coach and
> every track team member knows: that black atheletes have an advantage in
> sprint races because the structure of their leg muscles differs from that
> of whites. According to my son, who ran track and cross country for 4
> years in high school and 4 years in college, this is a research result
> which is well-established. But because it says there is a difference in
> races, it's a politically-charged statement. Obviously a result like
that
> has to be treated carefully. White track team members should be
encouraged
> to try out for the events they have a passion for. Some will excel, and
> the fact that someone else has a heriditary advantage shouldn't be used
> discourage them. But to simply suppress the truth -- in this case
> derailing the candidacy of a potentially highly-qualified individual, is
> not the right solution.

I hadn't heard that story about Michigan State. Quite a long time ago I did
my graduate work there. A lot of things were going on at that time, but
political correctness was not one of them. Anyway, it's a sad story.

It did not occur to me in quite this way before--but your message, Bill,
suggests that many of the social problems we encounter (I chose only four
in the article) have arisen because our society deliberately decides _not_
to honor biblical teachings.

Russ

Russell Maatman
e-mail: rmaat@mtcnet.net