Re: Social problems and evolution

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Tue, 03 Mar 1998 22:39:13 -0600

Hi Charles,

At 10:33 PM 3/3/98 -0500, Charles Cairns wrote:

>An analogy might offer one possible interpretation: Children are not
>accountable for childish behavior; however, adults are. I view human
>evolution in the same way, and think of God as a watchful but distant
>parent, waiting for man to mature to a point where he can be responsible for
>his behavior and God can formally introduce himself. Our sin nature is,
>IMHO, a relic of our origins, just as childishness is a relic of our
>childhood. (I am not implying an ID approach, only suggesting that our
>evolution was closely monitored.)

Then let me ask you why God didn't simply inspire an account which clearly
outlined this as you just did? Are you more verbally fluent than God? Is
God unable to know what happened? This is my problem with your suggestion.
God is GOD and should know what happened and SHOULD have the power to
communicate a true story to us mere mortals.

>We have a number of customs that share some kinship with this idea, from
>physical coming-of-age ceremonies to a spiritual counterpart that many
>Christians call the "age of accountability." Could not evolving man have
>reached an age of accountability as well? When or where that was is a
>theological question, but I think it's possible. It's also possible an age
>of accountability is a thing or a time that any sentient being would
>encounter under the proper conditions. Hence Neandertals, "human" or not,
>may have been accountable in the same way we are. Or beings from outer
>space, for that matter.

Coming of age ceremonies are human not divine. So why didn't God, with all
His power simply say, Adam and Eve were the first pair who were mature
enough to become accountable? Surely God is not tongue tied.

and

Foundation, Fall and Flood