Re: Ape talk

Charles Cairns (cairnsc@iserv.net)
Sun, 1 Mar 1998 21:08:13 -0500

Hello Russell,

And you wrote in part in reply:

>The image of God is not identified by, nor does it consist of, some bundle
>of behaviors, such as burying the dead, etc. It was given to Adam and Eve
>and their descendants. Paul said that Christ restores that image in his
>people. So, if you want identification, consider that it is something which
>requires restoration by Christ. Not tool-making, not building of huts, not
>burying the dead, but rather sin is that which requires redemption.

I guess I should probably bail out here, Russ. I was hoping to strike up a
thread on the image of God, but I see you are restricting its presence to
Adam and Eve and their decendents. I don't believe Adam and Eve were real,
except as spiritual metaphors, and therefore I would expect we'd define the
image of God quite differently. Those folks who posessed "bundles" of human
behavior also possessed, I believe, that image, and were accountable for
general revelation insofar as they were able, just as was every other
culture that was deprived of the message of Christ.

--csc