Re: Radiometric Dating Techniques

Glenn Morton (grmorton@waymark.net)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 16:49:36 -0600

At 02:34 PM 2/10/98 -0800, Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:

>Since there are no trees that have 10,000 continuous rings, I would be
>willing to bet that there is some tautological analysis involved in that
>extrapolation. Although the picture of tree ring variation appears to be
>pretty well closed for about 4000 years, I wouldn't stake my life on dates
>older than that. Brown has done some interesting analysis on trends older
>than 4000 years that is revealing.

But there are more than 10,000 successive varves each with organic material
which can be dated. The comparison of varve count vs C14 age is pretty good.

"The good agreement between both counts indicates an error of
only a few percent in the varve counting. The varve C14 ages
generally agree within about 100 years with the varve counts when
corrected for atmospheric C14deviations known from the tree ring
chronolgoy. Evidently the varves are annual over at least a
7400-year interval."~Minze Stuiver, "Evidence for the Variation
of Atmospheric C14 Content in the Late Quaternary," in Karl K.
Turekian, editor, The Late Cenozoic Glacial Ages, (New Haven:
Yale University Press, 1971), p. 62.

Lake of the clouds Minnesota varve record
count C14
842 1120+/-90
1479 1750 +/-70
2298 2660+/-100